Re: Adding header to pages

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 17:10:06 +0100

Henrique Pantarotto wrote:

> I need to add a javascript pop-up banner to all HTML pages that are
> served by Squid.

Are you really really sure you want this?

> I wonder if this can be easily accomplished by modifying Squid's
> sources. I also wonder if anyone has already done that.

It has been done, but it is NOT easily done.

> So, is it possible to add an header (5 lines or so) to the beginning of
> a "content-type: text/html" page? I guess the "content-length" would
> have to be modified too.

I think you need to be quite a bit more advanced that that. You will
probably run into problems on other pages using JavaScript, not to
mention frame sets.

> I tried understanding Squid's sources (specially client-side.c), but my
> brain went into a coma (me too stupid). ;-)

Quite understandable. Squids sources takes a while to get used to.

My recommendation is to start with some simpler proxy to try out your
ideas on HTML modifications. Once you are certain on your modification
then look into adding them to Squid if needed.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker