Re: sendfile() and NUMTHREADS questions

From: Doug Renner <dmr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 01:05:14 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> > If you are talking about the Linux syscall sendfile() then it is
> > probably not a good idea. As far I can tell it requires Squid to block
> > until the sendfile() call has completed, and is only implemented on
> > Linux.
>
> FreeBSD has a similar syscall. You can use the FreeBSD one in non-blocking
> mode if you wished, although I haven't tried it in non-blocking mode just
> yet.

HP-UX also implements a non-blocking mode for sendfile(). I'm curious
to know how well it would work, but I don't really have a lot of coding
skill. Does anybody else have any experience w/ it?

I saw sendfile implemented in a couple new code trees and I *heard* that
cdrom.com hacked their FTP server to use it.

I just read an assertion on the linux-kernel mailing list that it is a
win for any process that spawns threads for connections. That would
jive w/ the FTP server hack. Also, I just checked my src directory and
found it in another FTPd source tree.

Not a biggy, I'm just curious. Thanks guys!

There is always death and taxes, however, death
doesn't get worse every year.