Re: Linux and Squid :

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:34:17 -1000

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 10:51:58AM +0200, Andreas Skilitsis wrote:
> >> Can someone enlighten me on this one ??
> >
> >noatime
> >
> >Filesystems are usually mounted thru /etc/fstab. One of the columns in
> >fstab is the mount options to use (usually says only default). Put
> >noatime there and remount your cache partition.
>
> You mentioned this... as a reply to someone. I'm using pretty much
> the same system... so I was wondering what this does and if I should
> do it too...

You should definitely do this for file systems used for things like
squid and news (Usenet) which are accessed heavily and are not read by
normal users.

Normally UNIX saves the access time in the directory when any file in
that directory is accessed. "noatime", in UNIX versions which support
it, turns that feature off and can save a tremendous number of
directory updates, hence reduce disk writes, hence increase
performance.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.