Re: Hotmail and Outlook Express..

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 11:29:26 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Ahsan Khan wrote:

> I have squid configured transparently . but when some one tried to get
> his hotmail mail through outlook it gave following error.

We run transparent proxying, and Hotmail causes similar problems for us.
Since Hotmail redirects to a secure connection, which is not caught by
your port 80 redirection (being a connection on port 443), the subsequent
requests appear to Hotmail to come from a different host than the original
request, and this is interpreted as a security breach. Our solution is to
recommend the use of our proxy auto-configuration system for users who
want to use Hotmail, and this works fine. The difference is that their
browsers are now configured to use our proxy for both insecure and secure
requests, and this satisfies Hotmail.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781