Intermittent DNS error

From: Steve Pfister <srp336@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:38:11 -0600

We're running Squid 2.2stable4 under Solaris 2.6. On some machines (mostly
running Windows NT 4.0 Workstation with Internet Explorer 5.0) we get a DNS
error: "cannot find server or DNS error." On some machines, this can happen
as often as 10-20% of page requests. The error that comes up is a web page.
It looks like it was Explorer generated, rather than Squid generated, but
this never happened at all before we switch to Squid (from Netscape). I've
tried increasing the number of dnsserver processes, I've uncommented the
enable-cache line in /etc/nscd.conf, and have set the dns_nameservers and
cache_dns_program options explicitly.

This error happens often after several requests to the same site have
succeeded. Hitting the refresh button brings the page up correctly
immediately. A lot of the pages that this happens on have charts on them
(e.g., stock charts on www.quicken.com).

There are usually several lines corresponding to these errors in access.log
with a return code of zero and a size of zero.

How can I troubleshoot this or solve it?

Thanks!

--Steve