Squid reports "503 service unavailable"

From: Malcolm Burtt <malcolm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 17:30:35 -0000

Hi all

I have a system running squid 2.2 where squid periodically stops working.
When this happens client requests get an error "503 service unavailable" and
squid sends back a page explaining that DNS could not resolve the URL.

If, when this starts happening, I use nslookup to test the resolver I get

The only way to fix the problem seems to be to shut down squid, delete the
swap/cache directories completely and then recreate them (squid -z) before
restarting squid. A simple shutdown and restart of squid is not sufficient
to resolve the problem.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Malcolm Burtt
Senior Analyst
EuroGen Systems Limited.