Re: Squid Cache Partition Performance Comparison of Reiserfs and Ext2

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 09:58:52 -0700 (MST)

Warren,

        Thanks for posting your results! Just a few short non-Squid
specific comments for you or anybody trying to replicate this.

    - PolyMix-1 is relatively old; if nothing else, you may want
      to at least increase the test duration to 4 hours or so
    - always look at the traces to see if the aggregate stats are
      good representation of what was happening (`lx --trace' or
      `ltrace' in the latest release)
    - results with response times above 6 seconds should probably
      ignored or treated with extreme caution (you've got 18sec)
    - results with more that 1% of errors should probably be ignored
      or treated with extreme caution (you've got 5-10%)

In a nutshell, it looks like you severely overloaded your Squid box (or
something else in your setup), and I would not recommend relying on
these results. You need to decrease request rate until you get virtually
no errors (less than 1%) and reasonable response times (at most 2sec for
hits and 3.5sec for misses).

HTH,

Alex.