Re: Do I have to use the Squid cache?

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 09:03:02 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Steve Cody wrote:

> I am looking for a good PROXY server. I have been told that Squid is good
> for this. It is also a great caching proxy server. I have no desire to use
> the caching features of Squid. I just want to provide access to the
> Internet for my users via a proxy server. I want them to have to enter a
> username and password prior to browsing the Internet. I also want to be
> able to log Internet activity by username, and by computer.
>
> Can anyone tell me if Squid is what I am looking for, or if I should look
> elsewhere?

Although I've never used the authentication/authorization componenents of
Squid, I feel that it a much better solution than a mere proxy server.

However, if you want to use a simple proxy server, go to WWW.FWTK.ORG and
download the TIS Firewall Toolkit. The modules that you are interested in
are http-gw and ssl-gw.

Merton Campbell Crockett