Re: freebsd & 3COM980

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:21:47 -1000

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 04:25:37PM -0600, Sandra Jaque wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This question is out of squid list, but I´m trying to configure my
> Freebsd server to run squid on it, and I´m thinking to use a 3COM980x
> NIC or a Intel Server Adapter both have a dedicated processor to
> improve theire performance, but I´m not sure if Freebsd support this
> NICs, does someone know it? and better does someone have the
> drivers?...

I don't know about either of those, but for recent FreeBSD releases,
I'll repeat my recommendation to use a recent Intel EtherExpress Pro
100+ or 100B. They seem to sustain up to 40Mb/s actual transfer rates
on and off of servers quite handily in BSD/OS, and the drivers are
reportedly robust in FreeBSD. I've recently decided to switch to
FreeBSD 3.3 for my squid server as well, mainly due to the enhanced
disk buffer cache as compared to other BSDs.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.