Transparent vs. Non-transparent Proxy?

From: Steve Cody <SCody@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 09:52:09 -0500

I have seen the term transparent proxy quite a bit. Can anyone tell me the
difference between the two, and give me an example? What are the benefits
of one over the other?

I am thinking it may be this:

A transparent proxy is one in which you only specify the proxy server
address in your Internet browser proxy server settings

A non-transparent proxy is one, such as MS Proxy server, where you have to
install a proxy client in the client PC's to use the proxy server for
everything from Web browsing to telnet and ftping.

Am I right, or way off? I am getting ready to set up Squid in 4 of my
business' locations and want to make sure it is what I want. It is being
installed on Linux.

Steve Cody