Re: Does SQUID do parallel fetching

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:17:56 -1000

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 07:07:52PM +0100, Jan Van Ham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was browsing on the cacheflow-website and I was wondering wether
> SQUID also fetches object parallel or serial ?? When a page is loaded
> for the first time and it contains like 40 objects (HTML-code,GIF,JPG
> etc...) ... are they retrieve 1-by-1 or several sessions
> simultaniously ????

They are retrieved simultaneously, but only as they are requested by
the end-users' browser.

  Squid doesn't attempt to parse HTML pages and pre-fetch objects to
anticipate the browser as Cacheflow claims to. The Cacheflow users I
talked to seemed pretty dubious about whether that is really any
improvement. To take one obvious point, if the user has ad-blocking
software, or has image loads turned off, or simply clicks on to the
just wasted a lot of bandwidth, time, CPU, and disk downloading objects
which will never be seen by anyone.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.