IDEA: Stealth Cache

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 07:14:29 +0800

Hi,

I have an idea to improve on the concept of transparent caching, please
feel free to comment or shoot it down.

Plug a your favorite Unix-alike machine into your hub or into a switch port
that can hear all traffic. Run something like tcpdump in write-to-file mode.
Capture HTTP connections between non-cache machines and origin servers.
If we have a complete session from end-to-end, save it and "push" it into
your Squid.

The advantage is that clients who go direct can, but their traffic is copied
for the benefit of those who use the cache. If the stealth box goes down
nothing happens.

Problem: How can you be sure that the session you capture is complete and not
corrupt? Rely on the TCP control information?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers,
---m

--
Miguel "Migs" A.L. Paraz	            IPhil Communications Network, Inc.
http://www.iphil.net        Business Development/Network Architecture/Training