multiple squids re-visited

From: Jimi <jedwards@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:23:48 -0800

I've been changing around the configuration of a bank of squids, all of
which have fairly small caches. I have them in digest mode, all connected
to a parent squid, which is configured with the proxy-only option. The
siblings don't actually know about each other...only the parent. I do this
for configuration reasons, since the squids being on or off the network is
fairly dynamic, and having to re-configure the 'squid.conf' files would be
tedious.

The way I expect this to work, is that the parent will receive digests from
all the siblings, and then if a sibling requests an item that another
sibling has, it can get it through the parent. Should this work? It
doesn't seem to. I see the sibling request pages that I know another
sibling has, and it goes through the parent who goes directly to get the
page. Maybe they aren't sharing digest information? Maybe the parent will
never ask a sibling for information? This is my guess, but I thought I
would ask some more knowledgeable people.

Thanks,

James