Re: Re-Compiling SQUID while operational

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:45:43 +0100

Jan Van Ham wrote:

> Suppose my SQUID2.2.STABLE5 is running on my Linux box but I
> want to make "adjustments" to the errorpage.c file (to change
> the "Generated by XXXXXX" line) can I do this while SQUID is
> running ?

You do not need to rebuild Squid to make this simple change. Instead add
your custom signature to the error pages.

The default signature currently looks like:

-- cut here --
<hr noshade size=1>
Generated %T by %h (%s)
</BODY></HTML>
-- cut here --

Use this as a template and change it in any way you want (as long as %s
is used somewhere, this is a requirement or Squid will add it's default
signature).

To use a custom signature in the standard way:
1. Decide out the signature to use
2. Make a new error page directory and copy the distributed error pages
there.
3. Add your signature to the error pages and/or modify them in any other
way you like.
4. Change squid.conf to use your new error page directory
5. restart Squid

The new directory is to preserve your modified error pages when you
upgrade/reinstall Squid.

> I suppose I have to re-issue the "configure-script" with options
> I have to do make ?
> make-install ? (when doing this wil copy the files into /usr/local/squid etc.etc ?)

Yes. Reconfiguring the Squid binary goes like:

1. Apply any patches to the sources
2. configure ...
3. make clean
4. make install
5. restart any running Squid (reconfigure is NOT sufficient)

Hint:
If you preserve config.state when you upgrade the Squid sources then the
new sources can easily be rebuild with exacly the same configure options
as the previous one simply by executing "./config.status --recheck;
./config.status"
(this applies to any application using a single level GNU autoconf
setup)

--
Henrik Nordstrom