Re: resolved IP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 01:10:21 +0100

Sergey Oleinikov wrote:

> > Squid-2.2.STABLE4: Log destination IP on DIRECT
> >
> <http://hem.passagen.se/hno/squid/squid-2.2.STABLE4.log_ip_on_direct.patch>
> >
> > --
> > Henrik Nordstrom
> > Squid hacker
>
> No :)) I use parent, and when It's not possible, then direct ;)))

Then you'll need more extensive modifications. Squid does not care about
the destination IP address unless it has to go direct.

What another Squid user has done when needing a similar thing was to
modify the dnsserver process to log all resolved addresses, and then
reconstruct the information he needed from access.log + this DNS log.

Note that it is not that obvious which IP address to use when not going
direct to the site. Manu sites today are multihomed, or even
multi-continental (one server name, multiple addresses in different
continents, usually combined with a smart load balancing DNS)

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker