Re: User name logging?

From: Kris <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 03:35:50 +0000

At 02:21 11/01/2000 +0100, you wrote:
> > Quick question: is it possible for Squid to log the user name for each file
> > which is requested?
>
>It does, if it knows the name.
>
>Squid can get the username via
>a) proxy authentication
>b) ident lookups
>
>(a) requires the user to enter a username+password to access the proxy

I'm presuming that this would only be required to be input once and then be
cached by the browser (I've never used a proxy which required
authentication, if you can't tell...).

>(b) requires a ident server to be installed on each client machine,
>returning the logged on user name.

I thought as much. Trouble is, there aren't (AFAIK) any free ident servers
available for Windows 9x clients, as there isn't a concept of "services". A
systray/background program wouldn't work very well as it could just be
closed in the task list. Ho hum.

>There exists preleminary work at supporting the "automatic" MS NTLM
>proxy-authentication sheme supported by MS IE and MS Proxy Server, but
>the implementation apparently isn't fully stable and has been taken off
>line.

<g> Just my luck. I might take a peek at the sources to look for any
mention of it.

Thanks for the input,
   Kris