Re: Accel + Cache?

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 08:23:31 -1000

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 04:57:04PM +1100, Ben Mckellar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1) I was wondering if i can run Accel and Cache on the same mahcine using
> port 80.
> At the moment i have Mandrake and i get an error msg: FATAL ERROR
> CANNOT OPEN HTTP PORT.
> i can run cache on 3128 and Accel on 3127 but i wish to run them on
> port 80, is it possible .. how?

Are you starting it as root? If it isn't root when it starts, it can't
open port 80.

Anyway, think carefully why you want to run it on port 80 - unless you
are running a highly loaded web server or servers with lots of static
content, the accelerator won't do anything for you. Accelerator mode
is for benefit of others hitting your web site, not for users at your
site surfing, which seems to be a common misunderstanding.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.