Re: squid performance problem

From: Scott Hess <scott@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:50:49 -0800

<jb@dslreports.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am using the latest squid stable release under linux,

Hint 1: "Linux".

> Using apache bench, and pulling a 6k gif from
> squid, running on the local machine, with serial requests,
> for 10 seconds, (ab -t 10 http://X.X.X.X/i/file.gif)
> I get a result of 100 requests per second, and 665k/sec

Hint 2: "6k gif".

> The same command run on the Apache server, I get
> 1000 requests per second, and 6mb/sec transfer..
> 10x the performance.

Hint 3: "Apache".

Apache under Linux uses sendfile() to copy static content directly from the
filesystem to the socket. This is very efficient. I saw the same bizarre
results on a FreeBSD system, but found that dynamic content showed
different performance characteristics, which led me to the realization of
how this happens in the static case.

Later,
scott