squid performance problem

From: <jb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:36:57 -0500

Hi, I am using the latest squid stable release under linux,
and have found a startling performance issue..

Using apache bench, and pulling a 6k gif from
squid, running on the local machine, with serial requests,
for 10 seconds, (ab -t 10 http://X.X.X.X/i/file.gif)
I get a result of 100 requests per second, and 665k/sec

And a sequence of lines in the log like this:

947881946.762 0 209.123.205.209 TCP_MEM_HIT/200 6937 GET http://209.123.109.175/i/dslreport2.gif - NONE/- image/gif
947881946.772 0 209.123.205.209 TCP_MEM_HIT/200 6937 GET http://209.123.109.175/i/dslreport2.gif - NONE/- image/gif

The same command run on the Apache server, I get
1000 requests per second, and 6mb/sec transfer..
10x the performance.

I said it was startling ... the squid is pretty much
the default setup, 10mb of memory cache, the box is
1gig memory SMP..

iostat does not show much disk activity during this
test, and the logs are on their own scsi disk..

So what has gone wrong?! I've read the FAQs, and
dismissed the async/sync IO issue as the object is
memory cached. Everything I read told me apache should be
slower than squid.

thanks!
-Justin