Re: TCP_MISS/304

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:33:58 -0700

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Kendall Lister wrote:

> If TCP_MISS means "The requested object was not in the cache" and 304
> means "Not modified", what does TCP_MISS/304 mean? I'm obviously reading
> this incorrectly, but what does Squid do if it doesn't have a requested
> object but the destination server or parent cache returns that the object
> was not modified?

This is for a request for an object that squid doesn't have in
its cache. The client request included an if-modified-since
header. The origin server send back a 304 reply. After the request
is done, Squid still doesn't have the object cached because it never
gets the reply body.

The alternative would be to strip out the client's IMS header so that
squid got thereply body, but this is not supported, and arguably not
even a good idea.