Reverse Proxy Setup

From: Daniel Chandran <dchandra@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:27:06 -0500

I am trying to setup Squid as a reverse proxy for a Web server behind the
firewall with a private
IP address. Does Squid change the client request URL when set in reverse proxy
mode?

My squid.conf has the following for acceleration.

httpd_accel_host 192.168.30.9
httpd_accel_port 80

The origin Web server does not allow for URLs of the form http://192.168.30.9/,
  but only
http://www.mydomain.com. After setting up Squid to do the accel,
www.mydomain.com now
resolves to the Squid box. But when the clients hit it with request of the form

http://www.mydomain.com, the origin server responds as if the URL is
http://192.168.30.9/
and put ups an error banner. I don't have similar problems with other
products set up
to do reverse proxy ( e.g. Netscape, Inktomi and Netcache)

Thanks,
Daniel G. Chandran
Reuters, Inc.