Re: Reverse Proxy Setup

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 02:08:04 +0100

Daniel Chandran wrote:

> I am trying to setup Squid as a reverse proxy for a Web server behind the
> firewall with a private
> IP address. Does Squid change the client request URL when set in reverse proxy
> mode?

It depends a bit on how you set it up.

It will rewrite the host header of any forwarded request to the host
component of the outgoing URL, unless the URL has been rewritten by a
redirector process AND redirect_rewrites_host_header is off.

There are two ways to go about this:
a) Make sure the request is reconstructed to the real URL, and then have
Squid resolve the name to the backend IP address
b) Use a redirector, possibly in combination with
redirect_rewrites_host_header off. However, beware of having multiple
virtual servers mapping to the same internal URL in squid (after the
redirector) as it is the Squid internal URL where the objects get
cached.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker