Re: Different cache behavior with difference browsers?

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:57:31 -1000

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 06:37:57PM -0500, Steve Snyder wrote:
> I'm running Communicator v4.61 under OS/2, version 4.61 under Win98
> and version 4.7 under Linux. (All versions of Communicator are native
> for each platform. There's no silly OS emulation involved.) What I'm
> seeing is that a given page, when repeated accessed, results in
> TCP_IMS_HIT under the OS/2 and Win98 browsers but TCP_MISS with the
> Linux-based browser.
>
> Doing a tail on access.log, I see the action real-time. On page after
> page, I see the Linux (v4.7) Communicator fail to get XXX_HITs that
> are gotten with the other browsers on the same pages. I do get the
> occasional HIT with the Linux version of Communicator, but nowhere
> near the rate that I get with the same URLs under OS/2 and Win98.

I think we saw discussion of a similar thing on this list some months
back. The upshot was that the Linux version of Netscape sends extra
Pragmas when you pick a site off your bookmarks list, whereas other
versions don't. Effectively, under the Linux version, picking a
bookmark is the same as shift-Refresh under all Netscape versions. (Or
is it control-Refresh? I always forget.)

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.