Different cache behavior with difference browsers?

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:37:57 -0500 (EST)

I've got a very strange problem with Squid (v2.2.S5). I'm seeing
different cache behavior with different versions of Netscape
Communicator.

I'm running Communicator v4.61 under OS/2, version 4.61 under Win98
and version 4.7 under Linux. (All versions of Communicator are native
for each platform. There's no silly OS emulation involved.) What I'm
seeing is that a given page, when repeated accessed, results in
TCP_IMS_HIT under the OS/2 and Win98 browsers but TCP_MISS with the
Linux-based browser.

Doing a tail on access.log, I see the action real-time. On page after
page, I see the Linux (v4.7) Communicator fail to get XXX_HITs that
are gotten with the other browsers on the same pages. I do get the
occasional HIT with the Linux version of Communicator, but nowhere
near the rate that I get with the same URLs under OS/2 and Win98.

All 3 of these operating systems are on the same machine. This means
that not only are the URLs submitted to Squid the same, but the
requesting IP address is the same too!

Has anyone seen similar behavior?

Thank you.

*** Steve Snyder ***