Re: 2 'Performance' questions

From: Koen Bosmans <kbo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:32:32 +0100

> Ahhh. Well you did mention that "some" are running Redhat 4.2 and other 5.2
> - could this be contributing at all? Is this the only difference between
> teh systems? Did you build squid from source or from at least source RPM
> on each box when you installed it or did you just copy the binaries across?

What differences do you mean...
Most of them are running a different kernel. The hardware for the 4.2 should be
all the same and for the 5.2 too.
I compiled on every machine his own squid, I tried to copy the binaries from a
'good' machine to a 'bad' machine but the result was the same.
The problem servers are all 5.2 and our parent is also 5.2. The working servers
are 5.2 and 4.2 version so I don't think that that is the problem....
I think that the problem is somewhere at the kernel version, but it's not that
easy to change the kernel version because there are also running other programs
on it that need a 100% uptime for production reasons

> I'm also wondering why you'd be running such ancient versions of
> Redhat. The latest is 6.1 which has been out for a while now and at least
> on my system compiles squid without even any warnings...4.2 is at least 2
> years old...

I know that the latest version is 6.1 but you have to know that we are a world
wide company and we have many servers (all linux) and it is not that simple to
upgrade them all.
An other reason is also that we last year replaced most 4.x servers. Before
RH6.x was out. We also want to have the same configuration for most of them.
Maybe next year we'll upgrade to RH7.x ;o)

Koen