Re: 2 'Performance' questions

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:37:39 +1100

At Thursday 10:01 AM 20/01/2000 +0100, Koen Bosmans wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am setting up a hierachy chaching structure inside our company.
>For that no problem...
>For testing I used small caches, parent 300MB and children 100MB
>There are 7 children and 1 parent, one child runs on the same server as
>the parent for structional reasons. Al servers are running Redhat Linux
>5.2 and some 4.2.
>
>5 of the 7 children are running perfect but 2 of the 7 children have
>extreemly long waittimes when handling external cgi scripts (xmpl
>hotmail or altavista). For cgi scripts on the intranet there is no
>problem. All children have the exact same configurations. What could be
>the reason for this???

Ahhh. Well you did mention that "some" are running Redhat 4.2 and other 5.2
- could this be contributing at all? Is this the only difference between
teh systems? Did you build squid from source or from at least source RPM
on each box when you installed it or did you just copy the binaries across?

I'm also wondering why you'd be running such ancient versions of
Redhat. The latest is 6.1 which has been out for a while now and at least
on my system compiles squid without even any warnings...4.2 is at least 2
years old...

Reuben