2 'Performance' questions

From: Koen Bosmans <kbo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:01:36 +0100

Hi,

I am setting up a hierachy chaching structure inside our company.
For that no problem...
For testing I used small caches, parent 300MB and children 100MB
There are 7 children and 1 parent, one child runs on the same server as
the parent for structional reasons. Al servers are running Redhat Linux
5.2 and some 4.2.

5 of the 7 children are running perfect but 2 of the 7 children have
extreemly long waittimes when handling external cgi scripts (xmpl
hotmail or altavista). For cgi scripts on the intranet there is no
problem. All children have the exact same configurations. What could be
the reason for this???

An other problem is the parent....
In the FAQ, etc... I read that the biggest problem for squid is the
memory usage but I can't find anything about resource usage... The
parent squid is running almost constantly at 99% CPU.
The average hits/day is about 40.000, so I don't think that is the
problem. The parent server is a dual PII 450 with 256 MB Memmory, this
should be enough, not???

Koen Bosmans