Re: squid 2.2STABLE4 stops

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 07:25:42 -1000

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 05:27:15PM +0100, Anna Savarino wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We've just installed squid 2.2 STABLE4 on a Linux RedHat 6.1.
> Sometimes squid stops without any reasons...(or for reasonos that I don't
> know !!!!)
> I don't understand why!!!
> I must solve this problem: a lot of people use this server .
>

> These are my logs.....but I'm not able to understand them.
>
> 21 12:08:16| Preparing for shutdown after 3578 requests
> 21 12:08:16| Waiting 30 seconds for active connections to finish
> 2000/01/21 12:08:47| Squid Cache (Version 2.2.STABLE4): Exiting normally.

This is the cache log info you see when Squid exits normally because
told via a signal to shut down. The most likely cause is that someone
is running "squid -k shutdown" on your server, or is sending a signal
to the wrong process via kill and shutting down Squid.

I would quiz the people who regularly use or help administer this
server, and look for a case of "pilot error". Maybe someone is
periodically signalling long-running processes for some reason, or is
trying to signal a process which used to have the PID belonging to
squid.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.