Question about acl's and FTP

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 18:30:55 +1100

Hi people,

I'm trying to set up my Squid 2.3S1 proxy to save as much bandwidth as I
can, but at the same time serve up as much fresh content as possible. This
is due to both cost concerns and speed of my link to the net :)

I want to have my proxy send all requests for files (specifically exe, gz,
rpm and zip files) to the parent proxy (for which I pay substantially less
than if I go direct) irrespective of which protocol - FTP or HTTP. All
other FTP requests such as directory listings I want to go direct for since
they make up a tiny amount of the total bandwidth - and I don't trust the
upstream proxy to provide me with the most up to date listings for
FTP. (It's a Netcache box which displays ugly broken icons too)

At the moment I have:
acl ftp proto FTP
always_direct allow FTP

...but this sends every single FTP request direct including for files,
which i don't want. Is there a way to achieve what I want? I had no luck
with an acl urlpath_regex as the above statements seemed to override it...

Thanks,
Reuben