userlist blocking application

From: Eric Bennett <Eric.Bennett@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 23:14:03 +0000

Hello all.

    I've just begun work on a project which stores usernames in a simple
one user per line format in order to have squid block those users out
from authentication, I have found no way to do this inside of squid
(i.e. allow all users to authenticate if the auth_program tag says it's
ok, unless the username matches in <flatfile>) so I have so far resorted
to writing a small auth_program myself which greps for the username
inside the flatfile before passing it onto the main authentication
process, unfortunately there's no way for me to give the information
regarding to why this user has been locked out, who locked them out,
etc, which I have included in my project in the way of a seperate sql
database with a table entry for each user having that information
available.

    In the end I want to be able to add a user to the flatfile via the
web interface I've created, and when that person next tries to access
the net through squid, they will get a message in response saying who
added them to the blocklist, and why they were added to the blocklist. I
had a look at perhaps programming a redirector for this but the
redirector interface only includes references to identd lookups, not the
authenticated username via the auth_program interface.

    Has anyone done anything like this before, or does anyone have any
suggestions on how this might be possible?

Thankyou

Eric J Bennett