Re: Squid starter configuration question

From: Lionel Bouton <Lionel.Bouton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:21:50 +0000

Arjo van der Wijngaard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm total new with Linux & Squid. We have a small network 4 client ms winnt
> and mswin 95, 1 Suse linux 6.3 server. We want to acces the internet from
> the clients with the linux box. So i thought we need a proxy server and i
> heard a lot about squid. We don't need it to cache web pages only to
> connect the clients to the internet. We are able to connect to the Linux
> box with tcp/ip. This my problem/question.

1/ Squid won't provide full Internet access to your clients, only web access
(with ftp access limited to ftp clients able to speak http with a proxy).
2/ In your case there isn't any solution for full Internet access, but NAT
(network address translation) goes closer than squid.

NAT will theoritically allow unlimited Internet access unless your application
acts like a server. You won't be able to have 4 web servers on your clients
for example, but can have your 4 clients browsing the web, chating on irc,
ftping documents, downloading their emails via pop3 or imap4 and so on.
You can use your Linux server as a gateway if you use IP Masquerading (NAT the
Linux way). You need a kernel compiled with support for IP
Firewalls/IP Masquerading support (should be in the kernel provided by the
distribution), a look at the Masquerading-HOWTO and maybe at webpages dealing
with this subject.

You may want to use diald for "dial on demand" functionnality if pppd
"demand-dialing" isn't up to your standards.
If you want offline browsing functionnality (quite cool) you could use
wwwoffle proxy server. It's a light solution compared to Squid, interface with
htdig (a search engine) if you want to find previously downloaded pages you
forgot to bookmark, ...

LB.