Squid/Cisco trans proxy

From: Marc Lucke <info@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:20:52 +1100

This is one I've asked before & the answers to lower the MTU & echo 1 >
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_discovery didn't end up resolving the problem
although I thought it had.

Trans proxy works fine when I use a route map on IOS 11.2 for most except
those people via a remote router & I just cannot figure out why. Their
browsers get stuck on contacting host - they never get a reply.

My usual config is:

* RAS's default gateway is web-cache
* web-cache hijacks port 80

this works fine for everyone but a lot of web requests slip by

What I have problems with is:

* RAS's default gateway set to cisco (prob same when left on web-cache)
* cisco/squid setup exactly as specified in FAQ
* some customers using routers

I am absolutely stumped & very frustrated. It doesn't seem to matter what I
do & there doesn't seem to be a common thread except for a vague possibility
that the people experiencing problems are using MS-Proxy although this is
not even a well-educated guess.

I don't know too much about the routing protocol OSPF but could this have
anything to do with it?

Does anyone have any advice that might lead me closer to the answer?

Cheers,
Marc