Re: Telstra says "(squid infrastructure) not Y2K ready"

From: Todd Vinson <tvinson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:48:35 -0700

I'd have to say that although I have evaluated many products for my
company in regards to caching, overall I still find Squid to out perform
all others based on price and functionality. I routinely hit well over
200 http reqs a second, and at last check, pass 2 terabytes of data per
month though my six squid caches. Our Intranet comprises much of the US
(14 states - yes Intranet) - and the same six squids do caching for over
6000 servers, and 40000+ 10mb/s clients on this Intranet as well. I
average about 48% req hit ratios on Internet data, and over 60% on
Intranet side. My byte hit ratios, although they could be better,
average about 20% on Internet and 40% on Intranet. For the overall cost
of the environment, about 7 bucks a user - less as users are added - I
find the sub second response time very nice. I have recently
implemented LFUDA and GDSF hash replacement, and Delay pools, all of
which I find to be great features, and all of which are functioning
flawlessly. For the savings I have in Intranet DS3s, I have already
paid for my environment within the first 2 years. We sustain about
22mb/s worth of web data throughout the day, and I estimate we will not
need to add additional bandwidth for at least 1 - 1.5 years - another
savings thanks to squid.

To all the people who have contributed to squid - I say thanks.

PS. I'd be interested in hearing from others that are seeing/not seeing
these types of results.