Problems with Netscape 4.7 (some systems?)

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:21:19 -1000

  We're in in-house testing of our main cache now, before we go to a
customer release. We're running version 2.2S5 with most of Henrik's
current patches.

  It is running just beautifully for most of our staff who've tried it
so far, with one exception. That user gets asked to authenticate (even
though I haven't set up authentication) whenever he tries to use it
from his home system with:
 a) The 128-bit encryption (US) version of Netscape 4.7 on Windows 95;
 b) The OS/2 version of Netscape (4.6.)

  Both are supposed to be configured identically in terms of hostname
and port to the versions that work. Other browsers on the same machine
(and same IP address) including IE and Netscape 4.61, work fine for
him. Also, the same 128-bit version of Netscape works fine for other
users on other machines, under Windows 95/98, Mac OS, and BSD/OS. I'd
suspect pure "pilot error" in his configuring it, even though he's an
experienced systems guy; but even so, I'd like to know what to look for
so we can advise tech support to look for it in the future.

  Any ideas on what I should look at?

  In the meantime, I've asked him to test whether they work with the
browser autoconfigure script capability (proxy.pac). (BTW, that
feature works great and was easy to code with the examples given in the
Squid FAQ. I recommend it as an alternative to anyone unsure about
setting up transparent redirection.)

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.