Re: squid 1.something vs squid2.3stable

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 02:15:35 +0100

Ronald Warner wrote:

> 1. what is the performance difference between squid 1.something
> and squid 2.3?

Unknown. I don't think there are any measurements of the performance of
Squid 1.x comparable to Squid 2.X.

> 2. what features are in squid 2.3 that are not in 1.something?

A lot.

* It is supported by the developers
* It is also actively maintained
* It supports persistent connections which are supposed to help
transforming HTTP to a well behaved Internet protocol.
* Lots of bug fixes
* Support for WCCP v1
* Support for delay pools
* Support for the use of WebDAV methods
* (primitive) support for range requests
* Support for proxy authentication (was experimental in 1.X)
* No external dnsserver of ftpget processes that can fail or otherwise
cause trouble (overload problems on log rotation and such).
* and lots of other things.. See the ChangeLog.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker