Re: accelerator and squid-2.2.STABLE5.ignore_host_header.patch

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 23:15:46 +0100

Jayme Cox wrote:

> When I applied the below patch to squid 2.2 or the one that Henrik
> Nordstrom supplied for squid 2.3 I see a _very_ noticible slowdown. Is it
> because of the need to lookup Config.Accel.host for each request? Any other way
> to accomplish this?

I see no reason to why this should slow things down. All this patch
(httpd_accel_single_host patch, not the ignore_host_header patch) does
it to force Squid to always forward accelerated request to the
httpd_accel_host address, even if httpd_accel_uses_host_header is on.

Squid will always add a Host header to the request sent to the backend
server. What the ignore_host_header patch (and Squid-2.3) does is to
ignore the host header sent by the browser, and instead use the host
part of the URL. For a accelerator running with
httpd_accel_uses_host_header the two are in fact identical as the URL is
reconstructed from the Host header in the first place..

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker