Re: Squid - can it do 'pipelining' (RFC 2068 Sect 8.1.2.2)?

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:17:55 +0000

"JAMES, Patrick" wrote:

> We are new squid users. Today, we tried out squid 2.0.Patch-2 and
> 2.3.Stable1. We want to test a cache server supporting specifically
> pipelining as defined in the RFC 2068 Section 8.1.2.2. Looking in the code
> <very> quickly, there are comments about persistent connections and
> pipelining. However, when we trace the behaviour of squid to the actual
> target server, we can see that only persistence is used. We can see no sign
> of pipelining.
>
> We are evaluating cache servers for a satellite network. We have found that
> a client such as webbot (5.2.8) running pipelining beats the cache servers
> easily (client is 30% faster in some situations over the fastest commercial
> cache server product we have tested). However, the current clients (Netscape
> and Internet Explorer) our company uses don't seem to support pipelining.
> So, we think it would be a good idea to place pipelining in the cache server
> and then the client can be as inefficient as it likes (within reason).
>
> We have scoured the FAQ <at length>.
>
> Can somebody easily tell me, does squid support <<pipelined>> requests to
> the target server?
> If so, what versions?
> How do we get it to actually pipeline?
> Resources on the web indicate squid uses HTTP 1.1, but all traces we have
> taken to date are HTTP 1.0. Is there some sort of configuration issue to
> make it use HTTP 1.1 requests?
>
> Regards,
> Patrick James

You are correct. Squid supports persistent connections, but does not do
pipelining. My CS-proxy project at work will probably implement pipelining
(deadlines permitting). But from the design docs I've made to date, it's no
small feat to achieve. I am not exactly certain how much work it would be to
get squid to do it. A lot, I think. YMMV.