Squid - can it do 'pipelining' (RFC 2068 Sect 8.1.2.2)?

From: JAMES, Patrick <pjames@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:54:38 +1100

We are new squid users. Today, we tried out squid 2.0.Patch-2 and
2.3.Stable1. We want to test a cache server supporting specifically
pipelining as defined in the RFC 2068 Section 8.1.2.2. Looking in the code
<very> quickly, there are comments about persistent connections and
pipelining. However, when we trace the behaviour of squid to the actual
target server, we can see that only persistence is used. We can see no sign
of pipelining.

We are evaluating cache servers for a satellite network. We have found that
a client such as webbot (5.2.8) running pipelining beats the cache servers
easily (client is 30% faster in some situations over the fastest commercial
cache server product we have tested). However, the current clients (Netscape
and Internet Explorer) our company uses don't seem to support pipelining.
So, we think it would be a good idea to place pipelining in the cache server
and then the client can be as inefficient as it likes (within reason).

We have scoured the FAQ <at length>.

Can somebody easily tell me, does squid support <<pipelined>> requests to
the target server?
If so, what versions?
How do we get it to actually pipeline?
Resources on the web indicate squid uses HTTP 1.1, but all traces we have
taken to date are HTTP 1.0. Is there some sort of configuration issue to
make it use HTTP 1.1 requests?

Regards,
        Patrick James