Re: New to this: What use to have more than one squid on same machine

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:36:58 +0100

Clifton Royston wrote:

> Hmmm. I'm not sure if this is actually true - do multiple squids on the
> same box really perform better than one instance of squid? Anybody
> have any results on that?

If you have a beefy box and are not using async-io then Squid may be
bound by disk I/O, and then running multiple Squids using different
cache drives may acheive a higher thruput than a single Squid due to the
increased disk I/O parallelism.

> However, the hit rate would be better if one instance has all the cache
> and the other is fetching results through it.

True.

But sometimes forwarding capacity is more important than the best
possible hit ratio.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker