Re: New to this: What use to have more than one squid on same machine

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:03:38 -1000

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 09:20:59PM -0800, visolve cache wrote:
> --- Andreas Michligk <andreas.michligk@siemens.com.sg>
> wrote:
> > I have read in the archive that it is possible
> > and/or desirable to have more than one Squid on a
> > machine. What is the use of that? What does it give
> > you if you define the one Squid as the parent cache
> > of the other one?

IMHO, the main use is it lets you configure different instances of
squid for different purposes or user bases, with greater differences in
configuration than could be managed via ACLs.

An example might be where different groups of users need to use
different redirectors, or some users demand transparent authorization
and some require authentication of users. It's possible that many of
these combinations could be managed with a carefully configured single
Squid instance.

> >Is this (only) useful for big
> > installations (we peak at about 1700 http
> > requests/minute here)? Questions, questions,
> > questions ....
>
> you can satisfy the increased number of requests from
> clients with one more squid which run on different
> ports on the same machine. You can run multiple squid
> if you got higher internet bandwidth and powerful CPU.

Hmmm. I'm not sure if this is actually true - do multiple squids on the
same box really perform better than one instance of squid? Anybody
have any results on that?

> You should have separate cache for each squid running
> on different port.

However, the hit rate would be better if one instance has all the cache
and the other is fetching results through it.
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.