Re: I want to know wheather squid supports following or not.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 10:09:05 +0100

±è´ö°ï wrote:

> does squid support following.
> Passive Web Caching

What is this?

> Acrive Web Caching

What is this?

> Hierarchical (Chain-Based) Caching

Yes.

> Caching Array

Yes.

> Load balancing & Fail-over

With the help of external components yes.

> Caching Base Structure

What is this?

> Cache Load-balancing

With the help of external components yes.

> Reverse Proxy

Yes.

> Reverse Hosting

Only in the form of reverse proxy.

> Server Proxying

Only in the form of reverse proxy.

> Ftp Caching

Only for HTTP clients (i.e. web browsers) configured to use the proxy.

> http 1.1 support

partial. Squid currently is a HTTP/1.0 proxy with support for some
features from HTTP/1.1

> distributed caching protocol

ICP and HTCP yes.

> dynamic packet filtering

No, Squid is a application level proxy.

> application layer proxy

Yes, this is what Squid is.

> circuit layer proxy

Not sure what this is..

> SSL tunneling

Yes

> Authentication

Yes

> Proxy-to-proxy authentication

Yes

> Real Time Alerting

With the help of external software yes.

> Packet Logging

Squid is an application, not an packet filter.

> Pattern Filtering

For URL's yes.

> Domain Filtering

Yes.

> Resists IP Spoofing

Squid is an application, not an packet filter.

> Resists Satan & Iss

Squid is an application, not an OS.

> Virtual Private Network

Squid is an application, not a packet router.

> Network Address Translation

Squid is an application, not a packet router.

> Transparent proxy

Yes, if the platform where you run Squid is capable of it.

> Single User Logon

Squid is an application, not an OS

> Content Filtering(Pattern site blocking)

You have already covered this. Yes.

> Content Filtering(Domain Site blocking)

You have already covered this. Yes.

> User Level Control

Authentication provides user based access control yes.

> GUI-based Admin

With the help of external software yes.

> Web-based Admin

With the help of external software yes.

> Scriptable Command Line Admin

Yes. Squid has a textual configuration file, and is started with command
line options like most other UNIX daemons.

> Logging

Yes.

> Client auto-config scripting

With the help of a external HTTP server yes.

> Virus Scanning Filtering

No.

> Configuration Backup & restore

By copying the configuration file. yes.