Re: I want to know wheather squid supports following or not.

From: Adam Rice <adam@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 10:57:09 +0000

I'm going to bite on this... feel free to correct me.

"±è´ö°ï" wrote:
> does squid support following.
> Passive Web Caching
> Acrive Web Caching

Not sure what "passive" and "active" mean in this context. Squid caches
the responses to requests that are made through it, so if someone else
makes the same request again (and it meets the criteria for using the
cache), they will get the data quickly from the cache. If by "active
caching" you mean read-ahead, then no. That sort of thing is considered
anti-social by many web masters.

> Hierarchical (Chain-Based) Caching

Yeah. But it still works good without it.

> Caching Array

Not sure what you mean by this.

> Load balancing & Fail-over

While squid can be used in a load-balancing configuration, it doesn't do
it by itself. There has been good stuff on the mailing list on this
subject... check the archives.

> Caching Base Structure

Don't know what this is.

> Cache Load-balancing

How is this different from above?

> Reverse Proxy

Yep.

> Reverse Hosting

Yes (if this means what I think it means).

> Server Proxying

Is this different from "Reverse Proxy"?

> Ftp Caching

Yes.

> http 1.1 support

Yes (not pipelining, though).

> distributed caching protocol

Yes.

> dynamic packet filtering

This is an operating system feature, not an application feature. Squid
only forms the "web proxy" part of the firewall equation. A common way
to use squid is with an internal network of machines that don't
otherwise have access to the Internet. With this configuration, you
don't need a firewall at all.

> application layer proxy

Yes.

> circuit layer proxy

No (this is a lower-level thing, usually done by routers AFAIK).

> SSL tunneling

Yes.

> Authentication

Yes.

> Proxy-to-proxy authentication

Not sure.

> Real Time Alerting

Alerting to what? This sounds more like something you'd want from a
firewall than a web proxy.

> Packet Logging

Again a firewall feature. Squid just logs web requests.

> Pattern Filtering

Yes.

> Domain Filtering

Yes.

> Resists IP Spoofing

No. This is a router/firewall/operating system feature.

> Resists Satan & Iss

To the extent that is does not permit itself to be hacked by them, yes.

> Virtual Private Network

I suppose, if one were to stretch the point, you could tunnel a VPN
through the CONNECT feature of a squid proxy. And Squid will work with a
VPN if you have one set up. But you need seperate software for a VPN.

> Network Address Translation

Operating system/router feature. Squid is compatible with NAT setups,
though.

> Transparent proxy

Yes, together with the correct router/operating system configuration.
Problematic, though.

> Single User Logon

Don't know. As I understand it, Squid does support add-on authenticators
which can be used to make it work with arbitrary authentication systems.

> Content Filtering(Pattern site blocking)

Yeah (but it can only filter on URL, not on page contents).

> Content Filtering(Domain Site blocking)

This items follows from the previous.

> User Level Control

Not sure what you mean by this. Probably not.

> GUI-based Admin

No.

> Web-based Admin

Yes (but I haven't tried it myself)

> Scriptable Command Line Admin

Yes.

> Logging

Yes.

> Client auto-config scripting

Don't know what this is.

> Virus Scanning Filtering

No.

> Configuration Backup & restore

No..

> SNMP support

Yes.

> IPX-to-IP gateway

Not relevant to a web proxy.

> Auto-dial connection

No, but works with operating-system level auto-dial.