Re: User-based report.

From: Peter Polkinghorne <Peter.Polkinghorne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 11:00:20 +0000

Kendall Lister said:
> > >the information is all there in the logs - since the user name is
> logged >you can determine which user initiated which requests, and
> thus you could If the username is logged... ok!
>
> I recall a report of Squid only logging the user name with the first
> request by that authenticated user, and not subsequent requests - I
> don't know whether this was a common problem, or if it still exists
> in current versions of Squid, but I thought it might be prudent to
> mention it. Check the list archives for more details.

Well we use Proxy Authentication with Squid 2.1p2 (old I know), and the
username gets logged for the bulk (I have not checked if for every) of
requests. IIRC there may be a problem with the first request.

It is then pretty simple to write a perl script to rip thru the log doing
stats analysis for users. We have such a script.

| Peter Polkinghorne, Computer Centre, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH,|
| Peter.Polkinghorne@brunel.ac.uk   +44 1895 274000 x2561       UK          |