Re: a different pinger?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 00:58:43 +0100

dean.scothern@wwgsolutions.com wrote:

> I'm using squid-2.2STABLE5 across a congested WAN. Our provider has set the
> routers so that icmp packets are the first to be discarded. As a result I get
> regular dead_peer detection when its not.

Don't use ICP or ICMP pinging on a congested pipe.

> Also I'm a little confused about connect-timeout in the cache_peer line, what
> are the units? Is it similar to dead_peer _timeout?

The connect-timeout cache_peer option is how long Squid will wait for a
TCP connection to that peer. It is a per peer-specific version of
peer_connect_timeout.

dead_peer_timeout is used in ICP pinging, not exactly related to
connect-timeout.

Squid has two methods for declaring a peer dead:

a) ICP is used, and no ICP replies have been received within
dead_peer_timeout.

b) 10 TCP connections to the peer has failed in a row.

A peer is considered alive if both of the above is false.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker