Re: permission denied

From: Urban Grena <grena@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 13:03:14 +0100 (MET)

Henrik Nordstrom writes:

> Urban Grena wrote:
>
> > My squid (owned by user nobody) sometimes creates files owned by root.
> > Then I read in log file messages like that:
> > storeSwapOutFileOpened: Unable to open swapfile:
> > /export/cache5/00/17/000017BD
> >
> > What could be the reason?
>
> Are you using async-io?

No.

> Have you issued "squid -k" commands while there are users using your
> proxy?

Yes. I didn't suspect this can cause such problems.

> Recommendation: Start Squid as nobody, not root.
>
> su nobody -c /usr/local/squid/bin/squid

Thanks for advice.

One more problem: :-)

From time to time I get warnings about file systems being out of inodes. It
is strange this can happen since average object size reported by squid is
about 13kB and the file system has one inode per 2kB. Could it be so that when
using more than one filesystem for squid, the load doesn't get distributed
equally, causing inode shortage on some of them?

The number of inodes per file system is a lot higher than recommended
cache_dir size * 2 / store_avg_object_size.

sincerely,

--
Urban Grena,	grena@telecom.sk
A8 8A 94 40 A8 17 D8 DF  E0 1A F1 BA 47 3B 71 9C 17