Re: Squid information

From: Adam Neat <adamneat@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:11:46 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Kendall Lister wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 tarang@sscomp.co.ae wrote:
>
> > Can any one please send me the benefits of Squid against Netscape proxy
> > v3.5 and Microsoft Proxy?
>
> It costs nothing, you get excellent support direct from the people who
> write it (if you ask nicely) and the source is open so you can add any
> features it lacks and bugs get fixed 'while you wait'... it scales well,
> is very extensively used and tested in production systems, et cetera.
>
> > Also One very important information I need is that, Is there any URL
> > access control list subscription such as Smart Filter or Websense
> > available on Squid running on a Compaq Alpha Server running on tru64
> > Unix?
>
> You're after a service that provides lists of sites to which access is
> to be controlled, I presume - if these services can provide you with a
> text file of URLs or domains then Squid can control access directly from
> this. There are more sophisticated methods available, but you'd have to
> read the Squid web site for more details.

Squid runs well on Alpha boxes - but note, althought the latest EV67 CPU's
_SCREAM_ along, their cpu's dont reall make that big a difference with
Squid than that of a Pentium I 200! Sure, if you run lots of complex
pattern searches and filters and what not, you'll benefit from the Alpha
processor.

So long as you have fast memory and good disk systems, then you'll be
fine.

I've recently installed Squid on 4 Proliant 3000 servers from Compaq -
these are single CPU (capable of 4) with around 45Gb of disk each running
Pentium III 500 (or maybe they were 550) cpu's.

These systems ran Linux nad they ripped along. If you dont need to spend
the money on Dec Unix, then use Linux - I personally think Linux (RedHAt
flavor) is better than Dec unix anyway, but thats another story.

Hope this helps ?

Oh, and Kendall said, apart from the hardware (and Intel is cheaper than
Alpha!), Linux and Squid are free.

Rgs

Adam