Squid Authenticators

From: Eric J Bennett <Eric.Bennett@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:12:41 +0000

Hi All ;)

    Firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their help with the load
specifications on the new dedicated squid server I'm setting up, your
recommendations have been very helpful.

    There's a problem I've been having with squid authentication. I've
written my own authentication module and it doesn't seem to work exactly
as I want it to. squid spawns however many authenticator processes it's
supposed to spawn, and then after any given time (there doesn't appear
to be any set pattern about how long it takes) it spawns another set,
but the first set are still active, eventually this fills up the process
table with authenticators, and brings the machine to a halt (from a
usability point of view anyhow)

    My first thought is perhaps the calling to the pamauth program in my
script is calling new authenticators every single time anyone
authenticates, and that it has nothing to do with squid, but I don't
think that's the case as the new processes are coming up 5 at a time and
not just when people happen to be authenticating.

    Anyhow, I have included the source of my script below

#!/bin/bash
while :
do
read -r ARGA ARGB;
if (grep $ARGA /var/www/blocker/acldeny > /dev/null)
then
{
echo "ERR";
}
else
{
echo $ARGA $ARGB | /usr/local/sbin/pamauth;
}
fi;
done

(yes yes yes, I can't program in C;) )

    (the acldeny thing is the prime reason I created this script, it
checks a flatfile of (user<newline>user<newline>) entries and if a user
is in this list it will not pass it onto the main pamauth process)

    Any assistance you could give would be highly appreciated.

Ta all ;)

Eric