Re: Tuning Squid

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:39:04 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Jonathan Fortin wrote:

> I was wondering, which rules should i add to have great caching
> and speeds, and another thing, request-size??

The first two requirements are pretty much the holy grail of caching - and
as usual in engineering problems, you must constantly balance one factor
against another. Feel free to contribute your thoughts, or ask specific
questions... :)

> i set the request-size to 100kb and i can still download files that
> are 5 megs, how do i set limits on that??? and how do i set transfer
> limits meaning it can only be downloaded at a certain speed..

The request_*_max_size directives pertain to client requests; you are
talking about server replies, which are covered by the very next
directive in squid.conf.default: reply_body_max_size. Set this to whatever
limit you want to place on downloaded files.

As for limiting download speeds, see delay pools (covered well in the FAQ
and in the default configuration file). In my opinion the only thing
lacking from the current implementation is the ability to have Squid
monitor request patterns and dynamically adjust the delay pool config to
suit, e.g. if only one client is accessing Squid, there is not point
limiting their bandwidth at all. I understand that this is covered to a
degree by buckets, but I've been thinking about a hack to track bandwidth
usage by IP address and reconfigure the pools settings on the fly. There,
I've finally raised it - comments are welcome, including "You fool, this
is already more than adequately catered for - you obviously have no idea
what you're talking about" (although by all means let me down a little
more gently than that :).

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781