Re: abnormal HTTP request?

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:16:51 -1000

On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 09:00:08PM +0900, Çã ³²Á¶ wrote:
> thanks for your advice, Henrik.
>
> Then, Is it possible to bypass such a traffic in L4
> switch?
> I wonder if the L4 switch can detect such a traffic
> and bypass it automatically

How? The L4 switch is going to have to go by the port number; the
advanced features of the switches do not extend as far as using psychic
powers to divine the application author's true intent.

By using port 80, which is defined for HTTP traffic, effectively the
application is claiming to be HTTP traffic and needs to either be fixed
or "take its lumps" in this type of situation.

This is the whole reason that there are standard assigned port numbers.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
      The named which can be named is not the Eternal named.