Re: How could I make squid transparent top users

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 10:25:58 -1000

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 12:16:31PM +0500, Babar Hameed wrote:
> I am using squid as a transparent cache in my ISP, the problem I am
> facing that whenever the client logs on to a web site instead of his
> IP the web site shows the IP of my squid machine. There must be a way
> by which I could make squid realy transparent to my users.

Not that I have ever heard of. I was tempted to say it's theoretically
impossible, but it's not quite: It is barely conceivable that you could
make something like that work with a firewall or router writing
custom-written code to do stateful NAT and stateful "TCP/IP
highjacking" aka transparent redirection, possibly combined with
bridging. It would be seriously difficult, though, and I would
question if it is really desirable.

It also still will not make squid truly transparent to your users
because it's a proxy, and it will never behave exactly the same way as
the browsers they are using. IMHO, rewriting the IP address in this
way, even if you could make it work, would just make the problems which
do occur more mysterious and harder to resolve.
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
      The named which can be named is not the Eternal named.